Spiders are one of the most common pests in the home. They can be found in almost every room, and their webs can be a nuisance. Most people are afraid of spiders, but there are some simple steps you can take to get rid of them. So how can you get rid of spiders?
To get rid of spiders it is important to clean and remove webs regularly. Keeping insects out of your home will indirectly also keep spiders away as they will have nothing to eat. Spiders also don´t like strong smells so lavender, peppermint oil, and vinegar will keep them away.
How to Get Rid of Spiders
Here are our tips on getting rid of spiders quickly and efficiently:
- Spider traps. Spider traps are sticky glue traps that attract spiders and kill them by catching them on a sticky surface.
- Remove webs. Webs are used by spiders to hunt and reproduce. Removing them regularly will help immensely in lowering the spider population in your house and garden.
- Peppermint oil. Spiders don´t like strong scents and certain scents like peppermint are especially effective against spiders. It is best to mix 10 to 20 drops of peppermint oil with about 7 oz of water in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture anywhere where you see webs or spiders.
- Eucalyptus essential oil. Eucalyptus essential oil will also keep spiders away. You can use it the same way you would use peppermint oil.
- Vinegar. Vinegar will also keep spiders away. Simply fill a spray bottle with a mixture of 50 % vinegar and 50 % water and spray anywhere where you see spiders or spider webs. Don´t use vinegar if you have dogs!
- Garlic. Garlic is also a natural spider-repellent but it is not as effective as peppermint oil or vinegar. Mix some crushed cloves with water and spray the mixture on corners, under beds, and behind furniture.
- Lemon peel. Lemon peel will also repel spiders but it isn´t as effective as vinegar or peppermint oil. Simply place some lemon peel near windows and doors to keep spiders out.
- Lavender. Lavender is a natural spider repellent that also smells quite good to us. You can either plant lavender in your garden, have lavender plants in your home, or use some dry lavender to keep spiders away.
- Cinnamon. Cinnamon is a good alternative to lavender. It is easy to get and you only have to place some dry cinnamon sticks near spider webs to keep spiders away.
- Cedar. Cedar is a natural insect repellent because of its smell and the natural oil that is present inside the wood. It will keep all kinds of insects away and spiders don´t like cedar wood either.
- Install Screens. You can install insect screens in front of your windows and doors to keep insects and spiders out permanently.
- Keep insects out. Spiders eat insects, so if you manage to keep your house insect free then no spiders will enter it either.
- Insecticides. If you don´t have pets then using insecticides is an effective way to get rid of spiders permanently.
- Cover ripe fruit. Ripe fruit will attract insects that in turn attract spiders. Covering ripe fruit with a fly screen will keep flies and spiders away.
- Throw away rotten fruit. Roten fruit also attracts insects that will then attract spiders that hunt them. So throwing away rotten fruit quickly will keep spiders and insects out of your home.
- Clean dishes right away. Dirt and leftovers also attract insects. Keeping your kitchen clean and washing dishes right away will keep spiders and insects away.
- Use a trash bin with a lid. Trash also attracts flies and other insects. It is best to cover the trash with a lid to keep insects and also spiders away.
- Fix cracks, gaps, and holes in your home. Spiders are really good at crawling through even the smallest gaps or cracks inside your home. Fixing any cracks, holes, or gaps in and around your home will make it much harder for spiders to enter your home.
- Turn off lights at night. Lights also attract insects like moths. Which is another insect that spiders like to hunt. Keeping them out will also keep spider hunting for those insects out of your home.
- Cover pet food and clean pet bowls regularly. Pet food is a true insect magnet. Keeping the pet bowls clean and covering pet food properly will keep insects and spiders away.
What Attracts Spiders the Most?
We have a whole article about what attracts spiders that might be of interest to you.
Spiders are attracted by a multitude of things but the two things that attract spiders the most are changing weather and insects. Spiders will go indoors when the weather gets very hot or very cold to preserve energy. And they follow their food source (insects) to hunt.
To keep spiders out all you have to do is give them no way into your home, make it as uncomfortable for them as possible to get them to leave, and have nothing to eat for them around.
So a clean and insect-free house will also be a relatively spider-free house.
Fixing any cracks and gaps in your house will also keep them out and having some lavender or peppermint around your house will make it really uncomfortable for spiders.
Valentin is one of the two founders of Animal-Knowledge.com, a website dedicated to teaching people about pets and wild animals alike. He is the grandchild of a former pet store owner, so it is no wonder that he loves animals and is fascinated by them and he loves to share his passion and knowledge with others.